If you have diabetes, check your feet every day for cuts, red spots, swelling, or signs of infection. See your doctor at the first sign of broken skin. If you develop an ulcer, follow your doctor’s instructions to keep it from becoming infected, and take these steps as well:
- Keep the ulcer clean and bandaged.
- Gently cleanse the wound daily and use sterile wound dressings.
- Keep the bandage and surrounding area dry.
- Avoid walking barefoot.
- Keep weight off the affected foot as much as possible.
- Keep your blood sugar levels under tight control to speed healing.
This article first appeared in the 2019 UC Berkeley Diabetes White Paper.