Sautéed turkey cutlets, with a crisp crumb topping, are topped with a spinach salad in a takeoff on a traditional Milanese veal dish called Veal Capricciosa (in which a veal chop is served underneath a salad). The combination of chilled salad and the hot turkey scallops makes a delightful contrast.
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach or torn larger spinach leaves (6 ounces)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg whites, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 thin turkey cutlets (1 pound total)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the oil, the lemon juice, mustard, and salt. Add the tomatoes, Belgian endive, and red onion, but do not toss. Add the spinach to the bowl, and again, do not toss the ingredients (this will happen just before you’re ready to serve the salad).
2. Place the Parmesan, flour, and breadcrumbs on three separate sheets of wax paper. Place the egg whites in a shallow bowl. Dip the turkey cutlets first in the Parmesan, patting it into the turkey. Next dip the turkey into the flour, then into the egg whites, and finally into the breadcrumbs, patting the crumbs into the turkey.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add half the cutlets and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 1½ minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining cutlets.
4. Transfer the cutlets to serving plates. Toss the salad ingredients together to coat with the dressing and spoon on top of the hot cutlets.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 340 calories, 12g total fat (3g saturated), 3g dietary fiber, 23g carbohydrate, 36g protein, 340mg sodium.
A good source of: niacin, potassium, riboflavin, selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin C.
Also see Terrific Turkey Recipes.