Washed Swiss chard has enough water clinging to its leaves to cook beautifully in its own steam.
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, washed and shredded (16 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. In a nonstick Dutch oven, heat the oil and water over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, pepper, and cardamom, and stir to combine. Cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
3. Add the Swiss chard and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 55 calories, 2g total fat (<1g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 3g dietary fiber, 7g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 450mg sodium.
Good source of: beta carotene, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K.