Here’s a recipe for those who still insist that tofu dishes are flavorless. Timing alert: The tofu needs to marinate for at least 6 hours.
- 15 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Slice the block of tofu horizontally in half, then cut each piece in half crosswise. Place on paper towels to drain while you prepare the marinade.
- In a shallow container large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer, stir together the soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and mustard.
- Add the tofu, cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, turning the tofu over midway.
- Line a broiler pan with foil. Preheat the broiler. Lift the tofu from the marinade, reserving any leftover. Place the tofu on the broiler pan and spoon any leftover marinade over the tofu. Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes per side, or until richly browned.
- Serve topped with the sliced scallions.
Nutrition per serving: 200 calories, 11g total fat (2g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 3g dietary fiber, 13g carbohydrate, 18g protein, 790mg sodium.
A good source of: calcium, isoflavones, selenium.