This is a good basic recipe for sautéed spinach. You can substitute shredded Swiss chard, collard greens, or kale for the spinach. The sturdier greens may take a little longer to wilt.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- ½ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
1. In a nonstick Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and sprinkle with the salt and marjoram. Cover and cook, stirring the spinach occasionally, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 70 calories, 3g total fat (0g saturated), 3g dietary fiber, 9g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 340mg sodium.
A good source of: beta carotene, fiber, folate, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E.
Also see 11 Recipe Ideas for Spinach.