In addition to cornmeal, these crisp and spicy corn crackers contain oat flour in place of wheat flour. Eat them on their own or top them with a little avocado, bean dip, or other tasty tidbit.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ? cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, oat flour, salt, baking soda, and cayenne. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, and oil. Add the yogurt mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
3. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and pat into a square shape. Place a sheet of wax paper over the dough. Roll into a 10-inch square, a scant ¼ inch thick. Make sure the center is as thin as the edges. Remove the wax paper. If necessary, trim the dough to form a square. Cut the dough into 2½ x 2-inch rectangles (but leave the crackers just where they are, on the baking sheet).
4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Cool the crackers for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 20 crackers.
Nutrition per cracker: 50 calories, 2g total fat (0g saturated), 1g dietary fiber, 7g carbohydrate, 1g protein, 120mg sodium.
Also see 10 Healthy and Tasty Bread Recipes.