You can either use homemade roast beets or canned beets for this salad, which mixes warm lentils with crisp, cool greens and diced peppers.
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked beets
- 6 cups mixed greens or watercress
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, garlic, lemon zest, tarragon, and salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until firm-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain off any liquid remaining.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, and mustard. Add the lentils, bell pepper, and beets, tossing until well coated.
3. Mount the lentil salad on a bed of greens and sprinkle with the goat cheese and pecans.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 400 calories, 12g total fat (3g saturated), 7mg cholesterol, 26g dietary fiber, 54g carbohydrate, 26g protein, 760mg sodium.
A good source of: fiber, folate, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, zinc.