This refreshing salad would make a delicious addition to a pita pocket sandwich of grilled chicken; it would also be great as a side dish for broiled fish.
Timing alert: The yogurt for the dressing needs to drain for 1 hour, and once the salad is assembled, it should chill for about 1 hour.
- ⅔ cup plain nonfat yogurt (if you use nonfat Greek yogurt, you don't have to drain it first)
- 2½ pounds cucumbers (about 5), peeled, halved, and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
1. Place a coffee filter or paper towel-lined sieve over a bowl and spoon in the yogurt. Let drain for 1 hour to thicken the yogurt slightly. Discard the whey. (If you use Greek yogurt, skip this step.)
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice the cucumbers crosswise. Place the cucumber slices in a colander and toss with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Place the colander in the sink or on a plate and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and blot dry.
3. Transfer the thickened yogurt to a bowl and whisk in the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
4. Add the cucumbers to the yogurt mixture and toss gently to combine. Stir in the scallions and mint. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 70 calories, 3g total fat (0g saturated), 2g dietary fiber, 10g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 330mg sodium.
A good source of: calcium, folate, potassium, riboflavin, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin C.