Choose any combination of apples you like. If you use red apples, the peel will heighten the blush that the cranberries give to the sauce.
- 2½ pounds apples (about 7 medium)
- ½ cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 pieces fresh ginger, each ⅓ inch thick x 1½ inches in diameter
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Core the apples and cut into wedges, but do not peel.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the apples, cranberries, ginger, and lemon zest. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples have given up juice and are at a steam-boil, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apples have totally collapsed and no longer hold their shape, about 10 minutes.
4. Pass the apples through a food mill or coarse sieve to remove the skin. Discard the skin and ginger. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes about 3 cups.
Nutrition per ½ cup: 120 calories, 1g total fat (0g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 6g dietary fiber, 30g carbohydrate, 0g protein, 0mg sodium.
A good source of: fiber, quercetin, vitamin C.