Dark-meat chicken takes longer to cook than white meat. So to keep the chicken breasts from overcooking, they are not added to the braising liquid until after the dark-meat pieces have cooked for 15 minutes. But before braising, the chicken pieces are coated with cornstarch and quickly sautéed; this helps brown the chicken as well as seal in its juices. And the cornstarch will also help thicken the lemon sauce.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 to 3 ½ pounds), cut into 8 serving pieces
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh ginger
- 1? cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 1½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ?cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Skin the chicken pieces. Dredge the chicken in 3 tablespoons of the cornstarch, shaking off the excess.In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. With tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the bell pepper, scallions, garlic, and ginger to the pan and cook until the pepper is crisp-tender,about 3 minutes. Add the broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt, and bring to a boil. Return just the drumsticks and thighs to the pan; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until all of the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover loosely to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch and the water. Return the mixture in the skillet to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 250 calories, 8g total fat (2g saturated), 1g dietary fiber, 13g carbohydrate, 31g protein, 370mg sodium.
A good source of: niacin, selenium, vitamin C.
Also see Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.