For a chewier texture, you could make this with brown rice instead of white rice: In step 1, cook the brown rice about 25 minutes before adding the black-eyed peas.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- ½ pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the rice and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, cover, and simmer until the rice and black-eyed peas are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain any liquid remaining in the pan.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, the lemon juice, mustard, and pepper. When the rice and peas have finished cooking, add them to the bowl and toss to combine.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and tarragon, cover, and cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the sugar snaps and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add to the bowl. Add the scallions to the bowl and toss again. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 400 calories, 8g total fat (1g saturated), 8g dietary fiber, 70g carbohydrate, 14g protein, 425mg sodium.
A good source of: beta glucan, fiber, thiamin, vitamin C.