A puree of scallions, cilantro, garlic, and fresh ginger gives this creamy barley dish its exotic flavor. If you’d like to make this dish vegetarian, substitute carrot juice for the chicken broth. Serving suggestion: Serve this mildly spiced barley alongside a curried poultry or meat dish instead of rice.
- 4 scallions, sliced
- ½ cup packed cilantro sprigs
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1¾ cups chicken broth, homemade (page 252) or canned
- ½ teaspoon salt
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the scallions, cilantro, garlic, ginger, and ¼ cup of the water. Process to a smooth puree.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the scallion puree and cook, stirring, until the liquid in the puree has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the barley, stirring to coat. Add the remaining 1 cup water, the broth, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the barley is tender, about 55 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 190 calories, 4g total fat (1g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 7g dietary fiber, 34g carbohydrate, 6g protein, 500mg sodium.
A good source of: beta glucan, fiber, selenium, vitamin C.