For an easy variation on this bread, use dark or golden raisins instead of the diced dried apricots.
Makes 20 slices
⅔ cup diced dried apricots
½ cup boiling water
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3)
½ cup honey
½ cup low-fat (1%) or fat-free milk
2 tablespoons walnut oil
⅔ cup chopped almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking off the excess.
2. In a small heatproof bowl, combine the apricots and boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
4. In a large bowl, stir together the bananas, honey, milk and oil. Drain the apricots, discarding the soaking liquid. Stir the apricots into the banana mixture along with the toasted almonds. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Nutrition per slice: 144 calories, 4g total fat (0.4g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 2g dietary fiber, 25g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 83mg sodium.
Good source of: omega-3 fatty acids, riboflavin, selenium, thiamin.
From The Wellness Kitchen, by the staff of The Wellness Kitchen and the editors of the University of California, Berkeley Wellness Letter.