Most salad dressings have very little in the way of nutrients (and usually quite a bit of fat). In this asparagus side salad we take the opportunity to boost the fiber and nutrient content of the tomato lemon vinaigrette by adding bell peppers, carrot, cucumber, and onion.
Serving suggestion: In addition to serving this as a side salad, this would make a very nice starter for a multi-course meal.
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as olive or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 2 pounds asparagus
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato juice, lemon juice, oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Add the bell peppers, carrot, cucumber, and onion, and stir to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to blend the flavors.
2. In a vegetable steamer, steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Arrange the asparagus on a serving platter. Spoon the vegetable dressing over the asparagus. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 66 calories, 3g total fat (0g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 3g dietary fiber, 10g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 240mg sodium.
Good source of: beta carotene, fiber, folate, potassium, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E.