Cabbage may be the most classic slaw ingredient, but other crunchy vegetables, such as carrots, and fruits such as apples and pears make good slaw companions. Timing alert: The salad should be chilled for at least one hour before serving.
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 Bartlett pear, diced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, cider, mayonnaise, salt, and celery seed.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots, apple, pear, red onion, and dill, and toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate the slaw until well chilled, about one hour.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving
calories 145 • total fat 3g (saturated <1g) • cholesterol 3mg • dietary fiber 5g • carbohydrate 28g • protein 5g • sodium 400mg
Good source of: beta carotene, calcium, fiber, folate, indoles, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin C.