Fresh beans add delicious nutrition to many recipes. Many people boil fresh green beans, but you lose nutrients in the water. Here are eight other ways to prepare fresh beans.
- Toss snap beans with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven or grill on the barbecue.
- Steam shell beans with garlic and puree together with some olive oil, salt, and fresh herbs. Serve the puree in place of rice or mashed potatoes.
- Toss steamed snap beans, steamed shell beans, grated lemon zest, slivered red onion, olive oil, and some grated Parmesan together for a warm or cold salad.
- Toss cooked snap beans with tomato sauce (or add them to fettuccine or other pasta and top with sauce).
- Cook fava beans with fresh corn, thyme, and chopped tomato for a succotash.
- Layer snap beans with chopped onion, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, or other vegetables. Season to taste, add some broth, cover tightly, and bake until the vegetables are tender.
- Substitute fresh shell beans for their dried form in recipes for chilis, stews, soups, and baked beans.
- Sauté snap beans with a bit of olive oil and diced garlic for an Italian-style side dish.
Published July 01, 2015