Fresh or frozen blackberries make wonderful desserts, and they can be used in sauces over meat. Try these six tempting ways to use blackberries.
1. Use fresh or frozen berries in cooked desserts such as pies, tarts, and cobblers. When using frozen blackberries, there’s no need to thaw. Canned blackberries may also be used in baked desserts.
2. Make jams or preserves with fresh or frozen blackberries. If using fresh berries, keep a few unripened berries in the mixture as they help to set the jam. Or you can use a commercial setting agent such as pectin or agar.
3. Save the extra berry juice and reduce over very low heat to create a syrup or use as a flavoring.
4. Make a fruit salsa to serve over fish or poultry. Mix the berries with minced onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice.
5. Puree frozen blackberries with a little simple syrup to create instant blackberry sorbet.
6. Toss blackberries in the blender with ice, half a banana, and a bit of juice, low-fat milk, or yogurt for a smoothie.
See also: Recipe: Tri-Berry Salad