Kale makes a nutritious addition to soups, omelets, and other dishes. But it’s also delicious on its own. Here are 12 serving suggestions for kale.
1. Add shredded fresh kale or thawed frozen kale to minestrone, potato chowder, or vegetable soup.
2. Make your own fresh soup with sliced kale, white beans, onion, chicken broth, and Portuguese or Italian sausage.
3. Sauté kale (fresh or frozen) with thinly sliced onions or garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Add thyme and red pepper flakes to taste.
4. For a heartier main dish, add canned white beans and freshly cooked pasta to the sauté above and toss for a minute or two before removing from heat. Add a small amount of lemon juice, a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, and some crumbled feta just before serving.
5. Make a massaged kale salad. Cut kale off the stem, then wash, dry off, and tear into pieces. Massage olive oil into the kale leaves, and then toss with lemon juice, salt to taste, and Parmesan cheese. Serve with croutons if you wish.
6. Bake kale chips. Tear clean kale into pieces, toss in olive oil and a little salt. Then bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
7. Stir sautéed kale into mashed potatoes.
8. Use kale leaves instead of cabbage leaves in a stuffed cabbage recipe.
9. Top a pizza with sliced steamed kale.
10. Add kale to grain or rice pilafs.
11. Stir kale into stuffings for poultry, meat, or seafood.
12. Braise kale in a flavorful vegetable or chicken broth and serve as an accompaniment to grilled meat.