Nutrient-rich sweet potatoes aren’t just for the holidays; they make an ideal side dish year round. Enjoy sweet potatoes baked, or oven roasted for some healthy sweet potato fries. Here are some hints for preparing sweet potatoes, along with 12 tasty serving suggestions.
Brush off any excess dirt before storing, but don’t wash the potatoes until you are ready to cook them, as the moisture will hasten spoilage.
Moist- and dry-fleshed sweet potatoes are interchangeable in recipes although the cooking times may vary. But try not to combine the two types in a single dish. Their differing textures and cooking times may affect the outcome of the recipe. Dry-fleshed sweet potatoes have tan skin and white or pale yellow flesh. Moist-fleshed varieties have a dark, red-brown skin with orange flesh. They take longer to cook in the oven than dry-fleshed. (The exception is in the microwave, where the higher water content of the moist-fleshed sweet potatoes makes them cook faster.)
Scrub the potatoes under cold running water before cooking. When cutting sweet potatoes, always use a stainless steel knife so that the flesh will not discolor.
12 ways to serve sweet potatoes
1. Bake a whole sweet potato, or chunks of sweet potato tossed in olive oil, in the oven and serve as a rich side dish.
2. Peel and cut a sweet potato into wedges, and toss with a bit of oil, garlic, and rosemary. Then roast in a single layer at 450° for some healthy sweet potato fries.
3. Use sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes in a potato pancake recipe.
4. Make a multi-potato salad with orange sweet potatoes, blue potatoes, and white sweet potatoes. Make a dressing with yogurt, mashed roasted garlic, chipotle peppers, and a little olive oil.
5. Add shredded raw sweet potato to hamburger, meatloaf, and meatball mixtures.
6. Toss chunks of cooked sweet potato, diced tomato, minced scallion, toasted cumin, and lime together for a nonfat salad.
7. Stir cubes of sweet potato into chili.
8. Add tropical sweet potato to regular mashed potatoes.
9. Toss cubes of orange and white sweet potatoes with cut-up asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, some olive oil, and crushed fennel seed. Roast in a 450° oven until cooked through.
10. Puree baked sweet potatoes and carrots with some ginger and curry for a Curried Sweet Potato Soup.
11. Combine mashed sweet potato with some Parmesan and use as a ravioli stuffing.
12. Mash a baked sweet potato and mix with a bit of yogurt and curry powder for a healthy spread.
Also see this recipe: Baked Apples and Sweet Potatoes.