October 22, 2014
bandaging injured finger
Wellness Tip

A Wart Product Warning

by Berkeley Wellness  |  

If you use an over-the-counter product to “freeze” a wart, be aware that it is extremely flammable. Such “cryogenic” wart removers release a mixture of liquid dimethyl ether and propane.

Since 2009 the FDA has received reports of these products setting off fires and causing burns, blisters, reddened skin, or singed hair. Labels warn to keep them away from fire, flames, heat sources, and cigarettes. Even household appliances such as flat irons or curling irons might ignite them.

Follow label directions carefully: Use the aerosol spray dispenser in a well-ventilated room, for instance, and don’t expose it to heat, even when it is empty.