April 22, 2018
Reporting Medication Problems
Wellness Tip

Reporting Medication Problems

by Berkeley Wellness  

If a dietary supplement or over-the-counter or prescription drug produces unexpected side effects or causes other problems, report it to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as to your health care provider. This is the main way researchers learn about adverse effects.

Your reports can help the FDA get bad products off the market or lead to changes in the use or labeling of medication. You can file a report with the FDA at MedWatch; for supplements, you can also go to the FDA’s new portal. To file your report by mail or fax, call MedWatch at 800-332-1088 for the form. Your health care provider can file a report the same way—you might suggest this.