September 26, 2017
Hydrogen Peroxide Dangers
Wellness Tip

Hydrogen Peroxide Dangers

by Berkeley Wellness  |  

Don’t consume hydrogen peroxide—it has no health benefits and at high concentrations can cause serious internal damage and even be lethal. Despite the claims, this acidic liquid won’t cure arthritis, cancer, or anything else or “detoxify” your body.

Proponents suggest diluting highly concentrated “food grade” hydrogen peroxide (usually 35 percent) and drinking small amounts of the weaker (usually 3 to 5 percent) solution. Such a low concentration is not corrosive, but it’s an irritant and can cause vomiting and bloating.

Some people consume higher concentrations—usually accidentally, mistaking it for water, but sometimes deliberately—with often disastrous results. More than 7,000 cases of such poisoning were reported to Poison Control Centers in 2015. A study in the Annals of Emergency Medicine in June 2017 described the outcomes of nearly 300 cases of poisoning by high-concentration hydrogen peroxide (higher than 10 percent) in the U.S.—ranging from internal burns and seizures to lung, heart, and neurological problems.

Also see Hydrogen Peroxide for Arthritis Pain?