The three golds in question are the buttery-fleshed Yukon Gold potatoes, roasted yellow corn and yellow bell peppers. This salad is nice and spicy. If it’s not fresh corn season, you can use frozen corn on the cob. Let it thaw before grilling.
2½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cloves garlic, peeled
8 scallions, thinly sliced
⅓ cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as olive or canola oil
2 chipotle peppers packed in adobo
¾ teaspoon salt
2 yellow bell peppers, cut lengthwise into flat panels
3 ears of corn, husked
1. In a vegetable steamer, steam the potatoes until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. In a small pot of boiling water, cook the garlic for 2 minutes to blanch.
3. In a food processor, combine the garlic, scallions, lime juice, oil, chipotle peppers and salt, and process until pureed. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Add the hot potatoes to the dressing, and toss to combine.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Place the bell peppers, skin-side up, and the corn on the broiler pan and broil 6 inches from the heat, turning the corn as it browns, until the peppers are charred and the corn is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the peppers and cut into ½-inch squares. With a sturdy knife, cut the corn from the cob.
5. Add the peppers and corn to the bowl with the potatoes and toss well. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Makes 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 205 calories, 5.7g total fat (0.8g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 4g dietary fiber, 38g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 231mg sodium.
Good source of: lutein, niacin, potassium, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C.
From The Wellness Kitchen, by the staff of The Wellness Kitchen and the editors of the University of California, Berkeley Wellness Letter.