The blueberry filling for this pie is made with a base mixture of blueberries cooked with spices (including black pepper) into which fresh, uncooked blueberries are stirred. The filling is poured into a pre baked gingersnap crust, made with milk and olive oil instead of butter.
Makes 8 wedges
36 gingersnaps (9 ounces)
⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup low-fat (1%) or fat-free milk
2 tablespoons extra-light vegetable oil, such as olive or canola oil
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon pepper
6 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a food processor, process the gingersnaps and 2 tablespoons of the sugar until fine crumbs are formed. Add the milk and oil and process until evenly moistened.
2. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press the gingersnap mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 12 minutes to set. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ⅓ cup sugar, the cornstarch, orange zest, cinnamon and pepper.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of the blueberries and the orange juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the sugar-cornstarch mixture, return to a boil, and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 3 cups blueberries. Spoon the blueberry mixture into the pie shell and refrigerate until serving time.
Nutrition per wedge: 305 calories, 9.3g total fat (1.6g saturated), 1mg cholesterol, 4g dietary fiber, 55g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 125mg sodium.
Good source of: anthocyanins.
A different spin
- Strawberry Pie: Follow the directions for Spiced Blueberry Pie, but instead of blueberries, use 6 cups of halved strawberries. Omit the black pepper and add ⅛ teaspoon allspice.