This simple, open-faced Italian-style omelet glows with the golden colors of pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot.
Makes 4 servings
1 medium sweet potato (8 ounces), peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large carrot, shredded
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 egg whites
1/2 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin purée
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1. Cook the sweet potato in boiling water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet, warm 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the carrot, scallions and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrot is soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the whole eggs, egg whites, pumpkin purée, ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the carrot mixture.
5. In the same skillet, warm the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the sweet potato and stir to coat. Spoon the egg-carrot mixture on top and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Cook until the bottom is set, about 5 minutes.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the frittata is set, about 10 minutes. Serve in wedges from the skillet.
Nutrition information per serving
calories 185 • total fat 8.4g (saturated 2.7g) • dietary fiber 3g • cholesterol 115 mg • beta carotene 13mg • vitamin C 15 mg • calcium 139 mg • sodium 300 mg • iron 1.3 mg