The papayas that most frequently appear on the market are the Solo varieties from Hawaii. These fruits are pear-shaped, about 6 inches long, and weigh from 1 to 2 pounds each.
Makes 3 cups:
- 1 small papaya (12 ounces) or 2 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup corn kernels, thawed frozen or fresh (from 2 ears)
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the papaya, bell pepper, corn, cilantro, lime juice, and chili powder. Refrigerate until ready to use. This will keep for up to 1 day; after that the fruit will be too watery.
Nutrition per ½ cup: 33 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2g dietary fiber, 8g carbohydrate, 1g protein, 4mg sodium.
A good source of: vitamin C.