Salade composée is the French term for a salad whose components are arranged in separate piles rather than being tossed together (the classic example being salade niçoise). Though this looks artful on the plate, it isn’t much of a salad experience. So here is our version of an uncomposed salade niçoise, a combination of Yukon Gold potatoes, grilled tuna steak and Italian green beans tossed with a mustard-lime vinaigrette.
Makes 4 servings
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 pound tuna steak
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes
½ pound Italian flat green beans, halved crosswise
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as olive or canola oil
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 leaves mixed salad greens
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, coriander, ½ teaspoon of the salt and the sugar. Rub the mixture into both sides of the tuna steak.
2. In a vegetable steamer, steam the potatoes for 7 minutes. Add the green beans and cook until the vegetables are firm-tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, the lime juice, oil and mustard. Add the warm potatoes and green beans to the dressing and toss to coat.
4. Spray a grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium. Place the tuna on the grill, close the cover and grill for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the fish just flakes when tested with a fork. Let stand for 10 minutes before thinly slicing the tuna on the diagonal.
5. Add the mixed greens, corn and red onion to the bowl with the potatoes and toss to combine. Add the tuna and toss gently.
Nutrition per serving: 362 calories, 9.9g total fat (2g saturated), 42mg cholesterol, 7g dietary fiber, 39g carbohydrate, 32g protein, 564mg sodium.
- Tuna-Asparagus Salad Follow the directions for Grilled Tuna Salad, but substitute asparagus cut into 2-inch lengths for the green beans. Substitute 1 cup cooked white beans for the corn and 3 thinly sliced scallions for the red onion.
- Grilled Salmon Salad Follow the directions for Grilled Tuna Salad, but substitute salmon steak for the tuna. Omit the corn and red onion, and add 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes and 4 sliced scallions.