To further the mission of making reliable health information available to the public, advertising and sponsorship may be accepted under strict guidelines as specified below. Advertising and sponsorship revenue is used to support research, education and financial aid programs at the University of California Berkeley, School of Public Health (“UCB-SPH”).
Remedy Health Media (RHM) maintains a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content. All advertising content on the UCB-SPH website is clearly labeled as an advertisement. Sponsored areas of the site are labeled as such, and the sponsoring organizations are identified. The advertising policy is set and reviewed annually by the Advertising Integrity Board, comprised of representatives from the UCB-SPH, the Editorial Board and staff of Berkeley Wellness and the management team of RHM. The current policy guidelines appear below.
- Advertisements for products that run counter to the UCB-SPH’s mission, such as alcohol, tobacco, firearms, explosives, fireworks, gambling and pornography, will not be considered. Advertisements for legal services; political, social cause or religious ads; advertisement for competitors; comparative advertising that mentions competitive brand names; and intrusive ad units (including pop-ups and floating ads) are not permitted.
- Health Claims: Advertisements must not make a health claim for its product that is not clearly substantiated. Advertisers may be required to submit supporting documentation to the Advertising Integrity Board to substantiate claims.
- No implication of endorsement by UCB-SPH or RHM or its employees, affiliates or sponsors of product or advertiser may be made.
- The Advertising Integrity Board retains final approval of all sponsor/product messages, banners and advertising copy that are directly linked or adjacent to the content.
- The advertisement, advertising icons and company logos must be displayed in such a way that they clearly are not part of the site content.
- The Advertising Integrity Board reserves the right to reject, cancel or remove at any time any advertisement for any reason. The board also reserves the right to determine the appropriate placement of the advertisement on the Web site.
- No unsolicited commercial messages are allowed.
- Collecting and selling of mailing lists without the users’ expressed permission is not allowed.
- The full rules for any market research or promotion must be displayed or linked to. Advertising Integrity Board retains the right to block any ad that runs on third-party ad servers, such as “Ads by Google,” that don’t meet the agreed upon criteria.
- This advertising policy will be clearly marked and made accessible to readers and potential advertisers.
For inquiries about advertising and sponsorships in the pharmaceutical (Rx) and FDA-approved medical device categories, contact: Jim Curtis
For inquires about advertising and sponsorships in the following categories: Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Over the Counter Drugs (OTC), Retail, Cosmetics, Food and Beverage, Auto, Finance, Entertainment, Technology and Media, contact: Jim Curtis